conversation on layout [was: conversation starters]

Hi math-on-webpages,

Let me try to break this part out.

As you might imagine, I'm interested in discussing layout. Here are some
ideas for a conversation about mathematics using CSS layout:

* examples / use cases
  * see Dani's email calling for example to put on GitHub
* three problems; vertical stacking, enclosures, stretchy characters
  * how is it done today
  * how could it be done in the near future (i.e., using latest standards)
  * what is hard / missing (in even the latest and greatest)

Personally, I'm very interested in identifying low-level issues. For
example, [1] is based off an approach we almost shipped in MathJax for
vertical stretchy constructions (e.g., large braces, parentheses). While it
seems to work, it turned out that it's unreliable when a user changes zoom
levels. It would be nice to use transforms because it drastically reduces
the necessary DOM size. But perhaps transforms are just not meant for this
kind of thing -- which might be worth discussing with CSS WG folks if we
get the chance.

Best regards,
Peter.

[1] http://codepen.io/pkra/pen/PPBWaN