Re: 6/5/19 core meeting notes

Hi,

On 07/05/2019 00:41, Neil Soiffer wrote:
> Thanks to Brian for taking notes this week!

Yes, thanks Brian. The notes are nice to read.

> Issue 63: there are some length attributes that only make sense in a
> browser.
> ns: we should caution against using them in non-web contexts

During the call, we mentioned the calc() function.

An interesting idea is CSS variables (
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-variables/ ). If that's possible to allow
them, this gives a replacement for the "named values" we removed
elsewhere and can be more powerful. See
https://github.com/mathml-refresh/mathml/issues/63#issuecomment-489908559

> Issue #1 mstyle
> ns: at the last meeting we agreed dropping some general attrs and
> mapping other general attrs. What should happen to the rest that are
> allowed?
> ns: fred can you describe your proposal?
> fw: my proposal is to remove all attributes from mstyle

Obviously, my proposal was to remove all the *other* attributes that are
not mapped to CSS. Say otherwise, to keep only:

  * displaystyle
  * dir
  * mathsize
  * mathbackground
  * mathcolor
  * mathvariant
  * scriptlevel

> / debates about what to do with this, we can't deprecate 'it' but what
> can we do /
> ns: recommend we say that is taken out of core and stays in full.
> objections?
The recommendation was about the attributes. I think we can go further
and deprecate mstyle, I opened these follow-up issues:

https://github.com/mathml-refresh/mathml/issues/88

https://github.com/mathml-refresh/mathml/issues/89

--
Frédéric Wang