Re: Is this project dead?

I'd suggest it is dead. As a dodo.
1. The 'author' clearly has no more interest, he is off earning money
with up-transforms.
2. Every man and his dog wants to and is able to extend it.

Summary.
It has life, just no owner.
Where next?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Needs someone to breathe life into it.
  Enthusiasm, drive commitment and the energy to make it live in another way.
This list picks up the traffic. It needs a website and a driver.

Could you do that?

regards and best wishes.
 I think it is worth further development.

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.