Re: para termination

On 24 November 2012 18:39, Ryan Freebern <rfreebern@unionstmedia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 November 2012 15:06, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Given
>> > text\n\s\s\s\n
>> > more stuff
>> >

>> > where \s is a space character, \n a newline.
>> >
>> > Where does the para containing 'text' terminate? Is 'more stuff' a
>> > part of that para?
>> >
>> > Tested at http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?text=para%0A++++%0Apara
>>
>> Proposal, for the core profile.
>>
>> \s+\n|\EOF be ignored  that is any sequence of white space followed by
>> newline or EOF.
>>
>> I.e. A blank line on its own is normalized to nothing.
>

> I still don't think I agree. First, this should cover all whitespace
> characters, not just spaces. Second, I think it should be normalized to just
> a newline.

Normalization hasn't been discussed, nor whitespace treatment.
Perhaps open a new thread with one or both?

> In my opinion, the para definition should be:
>
> 0 to 3 space characters, arbitrary text, then EOF or (a newline character
> followed by a blank line).
>
> and "blank line" should be defined as
>
> Any number of whitespace characters followed by a newline character or EOF.

I'm -1 on this for the sake of simplicity. It means a two line
lookahead in the parse.
\n\n or \n\EOF is a one line lookahead.

> This preserves Gruber's intent ("A blank line is any line that looks like a
> blank line"), which I think is important to the readability/usability of the
> markdown source. The definition of "blank line" will also affect the
> definition of lists and embedded HTML.

If we process an empty line (ws+\n) through to the same, or even
normalize it away,
then the user still has his/her readability? I can't see this as an argument?

This is one case where (a majority?) of implementations would change,
so I'm willing to change my mind on this.

Has anyone tested this termination case with John M's test bed?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.