Re: header syntax.

On 22 November 2012 18:20, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
> I do agree with the (evolving) scope and deliverables.  And while there is
> no requirement that we document / standardize all of the MD behavior in the
> original Daring Fireball spec [1], I feel pretty strongly that we should
> adhere to the philosophy of MD.  This says, in part:
>
> Markdown is intended to be as easy-to-read and easy-to-write as is feasible.
>
> Readability, however, is emphasized above all else. A Markdown-formatted
> document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking like
> it’s been marked up with tags or formatting instructions.
>
> Beyond that, I feel it would be nice if we could avoid 'invalidating'
> existing MD content that adheres to the syntax rules specified in that
> original MD spec.  Maybe that's naive of me.  I certainly wouldn't advocate
> embracing weird syntactic extensions in the Core profile at this point.  But
> widely used and widely supported syntaxes that were in the original MD spec
> surely are good core candidates, aren't they?   Or am I misunderstanding
> what Core profile is meant to include?

The intent is to reduce the complexity (and side effects, corner cases etc)
by taking (in this case) one option from 5 or 6. Yes that will invalidate
those other cases in order to simplify syntax. Hence my suggestion
to adopt one header solution rather than simply copy the existing
implementation.

Hence I'm proposing
#header
..
######header

as the only header option. This is valid to current implementations,

If we required our spec to make every valid existing currentMD document
valid to our spec we would do nothing.

regards

--
Dave Pawson