Re: header syntax.

On 22 November 2012 15:29, David J. Weller-Fahy
<dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
> * Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-22 03:28 -0500]:
>>
>> Just to confirm the 3 you mention.
>>
>> == underline (h1 only)
>> --  underline (h2 only)
>> #{1..6}  All values.
>>
>> What a mess! We do need to address the corner cases though and tidy
>> them up?  E.g. terminating #'s, matching number of hashes, text after
>> hashes etc.
>
> Regarding matching number of hashes, do we want to require that?  Or
> just a single terminating hash?  I think a single terminating hash would
> be sufficient, as the only purpose of the terminator is to indicate the
> end of the header.
>
>> Alternative view. For a core profile. Support only #'s, with
>> terminators.  That allows conformance across implementations.
>>
>> Then the variations would fall into either intermediate or
>> app-specific profiles?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I like the idea of only having one method of identifying the headers and
> levels, and using the most flexible method (hashes with terminating
> hashes) as the method in the spec.  I also like that this prevents
> confusion between horizontal rules and headers.

Even simpler (and currently conformant)
#  header 1
## header 2
### 3

I.e. removes the potential mess with termination, subsequent text etc.

Since this is the simplest, currently conformant header definition,
I'd propose that
as going into our note.

regards

Dave Pawson