Re: header syntax.

I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting all of those,
although there would need to be a precedence order for error recovery.

Why do I think that?  Because one purpose for MD is that the document be
not just human readable in source form, but also that the human readable
version be pretty.  # header # is way less pretty than header followed by a
line of equals signs.

Also, I would like to propose that in the # header # form, text after the
trailing # be used as the identifier for the header:

# A Header # myHeaderID

should generate

<h1 id="myHeaderID">A Header</h1> in (X)HTML

I feel like there is already support for this in some implementations, and
it would make referencing sections from elsewhere in the document way
easier.

As to processing precedence order, I think it should be:

1. # headerText with optional trailing # and optional ID text
2. headerText followed by /^=+/ or /^-+/

If a processor encounters both, the header level determined from (1) above
is used, and the dividing line is ignored.

--
Shane P. McCarron