Re: extension of markdown files

I actually think that extensions are usually NOT in scope.  However, if you
don't think there should be a media type, an extension is an obvious
announcement mechanism.  Without at least one of these, it is hard for a
generic processor to decide how to handle the content.  You would have to
'open the envelope' and inspect / sniff.  Do-able, but not great.

--
Shane P. McCarron