Quick answerRe: One Simple Infographic that explains Spatial Frequency

Hi Alastair!

Sorry just saw this: I’m about to go into a meeting, so very briefly:

Contrast Constancy indicates that once above a certain critical contrast level, further increases won’t have much of a noticable effect.

However, at high frequencies (i.e. a 1px line) contrast constancy does not behave as many expect. The threshold CSF curve then does become more instructive.

Assuming a standard observer and the CSS reference pixel of where 1px = 1.278 arc minutes visual angle, then on my CSF chart that is 23 cpd (cycles per degree). (there are 2 px per cycle) That is the body text at contrast sensitivity 20 to “smaller thinner” text at contrast sensitivity 107. So 1px to 2 px is (more or less) increasing viewer sensitivity about 5 times, for a normal view, and other things being equal, and being adapted to the white point, and actual contrast down in the 3:1 area or less, etc.

But yes the upshot is 1px to 2px will most likely make a much bigger impact than increasing contrast from 3:1 to 4.5:1, which is the color are dark, the WCAG math makes barely a bllp of increase.

MOREOVER:

Lowering frequency (increase thickness) is the BEST way to assist impaired vision. Impairments shove peopls CSF way down in terms of frequency.

All I have time for right now SORRY!

Will follow up later

Andy