Re: Agenda: Low Vision Taskforce 20 Sept 2018

I think we dug ourselves a hole with these exceptions, but they are
normative now. We will have to sort them out.

Alastair's issue of blocks of text that change reading direction on the
same page is fairly easy. If the direction of text is horizontal (ltr or
rtl) any horizontal scrolling is out. Likewise, text in a vertical
direction cannot scroll vertically. You could find this in modern academic
papers that analyze classical text.

Menus are a more complex. I think we need to apply the same principles as
for data tables. Most are virtual data tables. The major axis is the
direction of the menu headers. The other axis is the submenu axis. Menu
items are table data. (For adventurous souls: fly-out menus from submenus
are a 3rd dimension of a table.) Menus are not usually implemented as
tables, but mathematically, they are grids. The conformance really rests on
two factors:

   1. No menu axis should drag text in the same direction off the screen.
   Thus a horizontal menus should not drag horizontal text off the screen and
   cause horizontal scrolling.
   2. Menu items should fit completely on the screen and require no
   horizontal scrolling.

Best, Wayne