RE: Questions on Images of Text (and what is essential)

Under SC 1.4.5 I would ask myself whether the same thing could be achieved with CSS, or with SVG and text.  In both examples I feel like the buttons are things that could be easily done and likely would be things I would call out – the other parts would be more complicated and are more stylized and likely difficult to get right at different responsive levels and zoom.  The cashback portion might also be doable.

Jonathan

From: Glenda Sims [mailto:glenda.sims@deque.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 5:08 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf
Subject: Questions on Images of Text (and what is essential)

Dear & Wonderful LVTF,

I have a question on WCAG 2.0 SC 1.4.5 Images of Text<https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contrast-text-presentation> and what is considered a pass or fail (from a normative, minimum bar perspective).

Question 1: Image of two tacos.

  *   Image of Text at the top of the image reads "TAC-OMG".  This text is curved (displayed in an arc).
  *   Image of Text below the tacos reads: TRADITIONAL & GRANDE TACOS"
  *   Image of Text on a button just below that...this text reads "TAP HERE TO ORDER"

[tacomg.png]

Question 2: Advertisement for 5% cash back or 1% cash back

  *   Image of Text on the left of the image reads "5% CASH BACK ON IN-STORE PURCHASES".  I've smudged out the company name.
  *   Image of Text at the right of the image: "1% CASH BACK ON ALL QUALIFYING PURCHASES (EXCLUDING NON-smudged SERVICE STATIONS AND FULL PURCHASES)"
  *   Image of Text on a button just below that...this text reads "APPLY TODAY"
[ad.png]

Can I get your LVTF consensus opinion on would you call out these two images a failures of 1.4.5 under WCAG 2.0 or not?

Thanks tons,
Glenda

glenda sims<mailto:glenda.sims@deque.com>, cpacc<http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/certification>   | team a11y lead | 512.963.3773

        deque systems<http://www.deque.com>  accessibility for good