RE: Acuity for 400% zoom

My understanding is that acuity as measured with uncorrected myopia is different from corrected myopic at the same acuity.   Myopia scatters the light creating blurry vision because the image is not focused.  Decreased acuity that is corrected isn’t blurry for most--- it’s more of a lack of detail – like looking at text far in the distance perhaps for others.    Certainly different visual conditions may cause vision to be seem cloudy such as cataracts and some people might see things blurred such as those that cannot wear correction for certain reasons.  I also wear contacts with high myopia and experience both uncorrected and correct states with decreased acuity so I am personally familiar with both.

There are many other factors such as the screen resolution, monitor, platform dpi, etc. distance from monitor, etc. that play a part of this.  In my experience many people with low vision prefer to hold things more closely thus increasing their effective acuity.

Jonathan

From: Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:50 PM
To: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Cc: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>; public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Acuity for 400% zoom

Hey Shawn,

My left eye (uncorrected) is 20/550.  So I just tried an experiment.  I opened word.  copied the text of your email, pasted it into word.  set font to Arial, size to 12 point.  Then I increased magnification (in Word) to 400%.

I can't read that text (on my laptop) at a normal viewing distance of 22" (the laptop screen is 22" inches from my eyeballs...yes, I did just measure with a tape measure).

As I bring the laptop closer to my face...I can read this same text...when the laptop is 15" from my eyes.

So...I wonder if someone on this list has something in the vicinity of 20/400 or 20/300 and can conduct a similar experiment.

glenda sims<mailto:glenda.sims@deque.com>, cpacc<http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/certification>   | team a11y lead | 512.963.3773

        deque systems<http://www.deque.com>  accessibility for good