At least we can start there.

Cheers,

-Alastair

On 17/05/2017, 01:28, "Repsher, Stephen J" <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com> wrote:

    I think we need to pursue both avenues - 1.3.1 and 4.1.2.

    Every other look I take, I don't see how it's not a failure already for 1.3.1.  An icon in the presentation has 2 pieces of "information" associated with it:

    1. What it means or does, which must be provided programmatically using an aria-label
    2. The fact that it's an image, which can only be conveyed programmatically using role="img".  The only way to make this available in text would be to add it to the label (e.g. aria-label="Image: W3C logo"), but that's a tiny loophole.

    What am I missing that this isn't already a 1.3.1 failure?

    Steve

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Laura Carlson [mailto:laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:56 PM
    To: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>; Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
    Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
    Subject: Re: Icon fonts - semantic elements

    Hi Steve, Alastair, and all,

    On 5/16/17, Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com> wrote:
    > I don’t necessarily disagree, but how did you resolve it would be a
    > failure for non-UI components?

    Do you mean maybe Jim still  should open an HTML Issue for a violation of 1.3.1 for  non-UI components?  Alastair previously suggested 1.3.1 and said until that is implemented in HTML, we don't have a standard for authors or user agents. So we would have nothing for WCAG to hook into for conformance [1].

    Thanks.

    Kindest Regards,
    Laura
    [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-low-vision-a11y-tf/2017Apr/0196.html