From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 6 June 2017 at 16:50
To: LVTF - low-vision-a11y <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Add Font Family back to adaptation

It is time to put font family back into Adapting Text. Steve has addressed the icon substitution issue well. Namely add failure to mark icon fonts to 1.3.1. I have looked at the distribution of font face sizes. Within each writing system:

  1.  Identify a mean character size within the script for that system.
  2.  Compute the ratio R of average character size by family to mean character size over all families in a representative sample.
  3.  Using language experts, establish boundaries that make sense close to 1 standard deviation from the mean.

Note: Mean +/- 1.2 should do based on the physiology of the human eye.

Wayne