Re: Use the void and schema.org [Was; Re: LODAtlas 1.0 release - Browsing Linked Data Catalogs]

Thanks for the pointer to the paper. For reference, the one I was vaguely remember is at http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-11955-7_61

>> - How do we get those decentralized VoID descriptions? Is there a crawling service somewhere that would give us access to such descriptions?
>
> Back when voID was introduced, the editors said that one best practice is to put the metadata in the /.well-known/void path of the fully qualified domain name [2]. We did check that but I don’t remember if we had any success with it.
>
> Fast-forward to 2018. We have restarted our quality assessment. This time we are doing a monthly assessment. Getting access to these supposedly open datasets is still painful imo. I thought of doing what Alasdair suggested, however, I think it would only be beneficial if whoever is publishing datasets is also updating this metadata (void, schema, dcat.. whichever suits them best). Furthermore, if we need some sort of a crawling service, then I would prefer if the /.well-known mechanism is used for such metadata.

What I’m contemplating, following this discussion, is to enable dataset import by submitting VoID description URIs, possibly automatically following links to other VoID descriptions of declared interlinked datasets. Anything beyond that, I consider (for the time being) as "outside of our jurisdiction”.

We won’t be making much progress on this issue until after ISWC (next week). People who want to discuss this issue (or any other related to LODAtlas) will have an opportunity to talk to us there (Hande, the senior engineer in charge of this project, will be presenting the paper).

Thanks for the feedback provided so far, it’s highly relevant.

best regards,
Emmanuel
--
Emmanuel Pietriga