Re: IOS Press Launches Linked Data Portal

On 04/10/2018 05:09 AM, Mikel Egaña Aranguren wrote:

> <mailto:Ruben.Verborgh@ugent.be>>:
>
>     Hi Krzysztof,
>

> Hi, congrats!
>

>     Congrats!
>
>     > I am very glad to report that IOS Press went all in on Linked
>     Data as backbone for their internal data management and sharing.
>
>     Any details on how you are doing this?
>     Do you have a CMS on top of a triplestore?
>

> I'm really interested on this too. I think the only way for Linked
> Data to succeed is to be consumed by the internal programs of the
> entity (Company, Government) that publishes the data. Otherwise, the
> effort needed to build proper Linked Data (Data Quality, URIs, ...) is
> too much to be worthy if publication only is involved.

Yes, exactly. IMHO, there are two big next steps. First, getting
authoritative data providers to publish their own data as Linked Data
instead of us as research community triplifiying their data. This is the
only way to ensure maintenance and quality on the long term. Second,
simplifying the interaction with Linked Data to integrate it into
internal as well as external workflows. I hate to say it, but many of
our technologies and KR languages are too complicated. Finally, ideally,
we would try to take the data from IOS, Springer, Elsevier, and so forth
and show the value proposition of Linked Data in action by designing
interesting services on top of them. This could be in the form of a
challenge or workshop. As IOS Press has also published document
embeddings and linked them to the papers, such services can use very
rich data. To some degree our Linked Data Scientometrics are such a service.

Cheers,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/