Re: Open source release of "Stralo", a new Linked Data platform

On 10/18/17 3:52 PM, Bram Biesbrouck wrote:

>     Hi Bram
>
>     I started  Stralo from the shell ,
>     and filled my first page.

Hi Bram,

>     I fail to see the LOD aspect .
>     Where are the triples ?
>     Can I display a public FOAF profile in Stralo ?
>     How could one implement, for instance, a contact management in
>     Stralo ?
>

> Hehe, actually that's the whole point (and strength) of Stralo: the
> user is never confronted with triples.

Every time you encounter a hyperlink in a web page you are confronting a
triple of the form: [ schema:uri <#someHyperlink> ]. Naturally, the user
doesn't see or immediately deal with that, but the effect is there i.e,
click on the link and it resolves to a description of what it identifies.

> From the beginning, we wanted to make a Linked Data system that's
> transparent to the user because most people don't really understand RDF.

Most people don't understand how RDF has been described over the years.
I think most literate people (irrespective of native language)
understand the subject, predicate, object structure of a sentence.

> That's why we totally hid it away behind a user friendly drag-and-drop
> interface.
>
> All data is stored in RDFa tags (in between the HTML), so actually
> every page you make is a collection of triples.

Yes, I can see you've opted for RDFa based structured data islands
embedded in HTML which addresses on part of the issue at hand. That
said, you still need to address the core requirement of hyperlinks
resolving to documents that describe whatever they identify.

For instance, you have <http://www.reinvention.be/ontology/> as the
object of a <http://www.w3.org/ns/rdfa#usesVocabulary> relation in all
your pages, that hyperlink doesn't resolve to anything:

curl -IL http://www.reinvention.be/ontology/
HTTP/1.1 303 See Other