Re: Relationship of dcat:Dataset and void:Dataset

We had a very similar discussion about how to marry DCAT with VOID (and
what to do with void:Dataset) for DataID
<http://dataid.dbpedia.org/ns/core.html>.

In the end, we decided to define dataid:Dataset as sub of dcat:Dataset and
void:Dataset for the following reasons:

1. their similar definitions :

    void:Dataset "[...] we think of a dataset as a meaningful collection of
triples, that deal with a certain topic, originate from a certain source or
process, are hosted on a certain server, or are aggregated by a certain
custodian." [1]
    dcat:Dataset "[...] collection of data, published or curated by a
single agent, and available for access or download in one or more
formats." [2]

It appears, all of what is stated about a dcat:Dataset is true for a
void:Dataset (including the possibility of different formats).

2. the similarities between dcat:CatalogRecord and void:DatasetDescription:

Both provide some form of metadata about a dataset. Both are using
foaf:topic / foaf:primaryTopc to point out the (Dataset) entity of interest.
When combining DCAT and VOID using the first option, a dcat:CatalogRecord
would reference a dcat:Dataset, while a void:DatasetDescription would
reference a dcat:Distribution.

3. void:subset

Points out a subset of a void:Dataset. If a void:Dataset is also considered
a dcat:Distribution, one would have to deal with the notion of a
'sub-distributions'.
Which is a point of contention (as far as I remember the discussion at
SDSVoc). We rather use this property with DataID to provide the missing
hierarchical pointers between datasets.

4.  The definition of dcat:Distribution

    dcat:Distribution: "Represents a specific available form of a dataset."

The definition of a void:Dataset is different since it only narrows the
available formats of a dataset to RDF, not to a specific serialization.
Also, no VOID properties offer no further clarification on the 'specific
available format' of the dataset.

VOID Properties like:
classes <http://vocab.deri.ie/void#classes> | distinctObjects
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#distinctObjects> | distinctSubjects
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#distinctSubjects> | documents
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#documents> | entities
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#entities> | properties
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#properties> | property
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#property> | propertyPartition
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#propertyPartition> | triples
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#triples> | vocabulary
<http://vocab.deri.ie/void#vocabulary> etc.
are all characteristics of a dataset and not just a single distribution, in
my understanding.

These were our main reasons to combine dcat:Dataset and void:Dataset into
dataid:Dataset.

Markus Freudenberg

Release Manager, DBpedia <http://wiki.dbpedia.org>