Re: making our HTML+RDFa queryable

On 1/24/17 10:31 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> And BTW, forcing XHTML on publishers
> didn't work for publishers, not harvesters.

Forcing anything works for nobody, as history demonstrates repeatedly.

>> Interestingly, those are the same companies that are able to harvest
>> documents on Web scale
> That's indeed a pressing issue:
> who is able to query our data?

Our data or data published using Linked Data principles?

Linked Data is already everywhere especially with the we the Schema.org
induced explosion across mainstream document publishers.

> Far worse problems than parsers in this regard are:
> – data being spread across different pages
> – heterogeneity in vocabularies
>
> For those problems, the pipeline I propose
> is an easy solution for everybody who publishes RDFa.
> Consumers no longer need to harvest.
>
>> We are giving away the dog food yet have a hard time eating it
>> ourselves. Which brings us back to the need for decentralization.
> That's precisely my motivation.
> If more people publish their data in similar ways,

More people will always publish using a variety of document types. Thus,
in keeping with RDF's abstract nature, we should embrace RDF document
type heterogeneity with regards to Linked Data (publication and
consumption).

> we can query across multiple pages easily.

Yes, because humans or machine can follow links.

> Linked Data is a good start,
> but cannot offer completeness for SPARQL queries.

SPARQL query services can follow links, and they can do that very
intelligently too!

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):