Re: making our HTML+RDFa queryable

On 1/23/17 3:24 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Publishing Linked Data as RDFa triples in HTML pages several benefits.
> For instance, it's an easy way to integrate LD publishing in existing workflows.
> However, the Linked Data approach (as in: one document per subject)
> has its limits with regard to finding and querying knowledge.
>
> I recently created a simple pipeline to make embedded RDFa queryable.
> Data from my website (https://ruben.verborgh.org/) can be browsed online
> (https://data.verborgh.org/ruben) and be queried with SPARQL in the browser
> (http://query.verborgh.org/), even with federated queries.
>
> I have documented the approach in an HTML+RDFa article
> https://ruben.verborgh.org/articles/queryable-research-data/
> which I have submitted to the LDOW2017 workshop.
> (The submission deadline is still open BTW, submit your stuff!)
>
> Hopefully this pipeline inspires others to do the same;
> and then we can execute federated queries over our sites :-)
>
> Feedback and/or reviews of the article are most welcome!
>
> Best,
>
> Ruben
Hi Ruben,

Certainly a great idea.

Do  we need to stop at RDFa? Fundamentally, use of <script/> for
embedding structured data islands in HTML is a new pattern that should
be added to the Linked Data deployment mix. This pattern has been widely
adapted by sites that publish structured metadata using JSON-LD and
terms from the schema.org vocabulary [1][2][3].

As an example, our Structured Data Sniffer [4] browser extension doesn't
have a preference with regards to HTML+RDFa, HTML+Microdata,
HTML+JSONLD, HTML+Turtle, or raw Turtle, JSON-LD, RDF-XML. In addition,
it also includes the ability to query pages that adopt any of these
patterns too :)

BTW -- I was actually going to make a demo using your page but I hit a
TLS issue that can be recreated via:

curl -kIL https://ruben.verborgh.org/

Links:

[1] https://twitter.com/kidehen/status/822476801222017024 -- Tweet about
Web Data Commons 2016 Report

[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SDIy4HBxO5J6sJpLJ1XOEKmPmqCE5qgiApHoDfiaEMg/edit#gid=839853937
-- JSON-LD stats from Web Data Commons 2016 report

[3] https://www.pinterest.com/kidehen/structured-metadata-related/ --
Sample Sites using RDF Language to embed structured metadata in HTML
docs using terms from Schema.org vocabulary

[4] http://osds.openlinksw.com -- Structured Data Sniffer Browser Extension

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):