Re: How to link to Companies House (UK) data?

On 2017-01-17 14:39, Matt Wallis wrote:
> On 13/01/2017 17:47, Stuart Williams wrote:
>> Hello Matt,
>>
>> As others have said, the predicate you choose depends very much on the
>> relationship your trying to make between your 'my:object' and  some company.
>>
>> Here's a concrete example of something other that relates bathing waters
>> (beachs/rivers/lakes etc.) to the organisations that are responsible for
>> sewerage in the locale of that bathing water.
>>
>> http://environment.data.gov.uk/doc/bathing-water/ukc2102-03600.ttl
>>
>> which includes the following triples - modulo namespaces.
>>
>>     bw:ukc2102-03600  a def-bw:CoastalBathingWater , def-bw:BathingWater ;
>>             def-bw:appointedSewerageUndertaker
>>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/02366703> ;
>>             skos:prefLabel                  "Spittal"@en .
>>
>>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/02366703>
>>             chterms:companyProfile
>>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/02366703> ;
>>             skos:prefLabel          "Northumbrian Water Limited"@en .
>>
>> We could have used a weaker predicate than chterms:companyProfile like
>> rdfs:seeAlso which would at best suggests that publisher of this data thinks
>> you might also be interested in whatever comes back from
>> <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/02366703> without setting any
>> expectation over its form.
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thank you. This looks very close to what I want.  I have a couple more questions.
>
> A property
> <http://environment.data.gov.uk/def/bathing-water/appointedSewerageUndertaker>
> has been defined specifically for this purpose. I understand that one reason
> for doing so is that there is a specific role played by this company - that of
> being the appointed sewerage undertaker - and there may be other companies,
> with different roles associated with this particular piece of bathing water.
> My situation is slightly different in that for each instance of my:Thing,
> there can be either zero or one registrations with Companies House, and that
> registration is of the legal form of that instance of my:Thing. So, I am
> wondering if I can simply have:
>
>     my:instanceOfThing chterms:companyProfile
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/99999999>. [1]

Firstly I'm having trouble parsing "...and that registration is of the legal
form of that instance of my:Thing".

Secondly, I'd like to understand whether you are wanting to reference a "company
registration" or a "company". If a "company", then for a UK company
<http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/99999999> is the URI to use, or more
globally as others have suggested you could use an OpenCorporates URI. If it's a
"company registration" (as in a formal legal thing) then while the company
profile contains some arguably interesting information about the company and is
clearly evidence of a registration having occurred - I'm not sure that I could
hand-on-heart say that the profile serves as the "registration". I guess that in
some respect a registration is an event, a register contains information that
records the occurrence of such events and the profile is a document that
contains some information derived from that record of registration.

So in large part, what the right thing to do is depends on what 'claim' you want
your RDF statement to make. If you can state that clearly I/we might be able to
give better help.

> BUT ... I see in the comment for
> http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile:
>
>     "An open-domained, object valued property used to associate parts of a
>     CompanyProfile (AccountsSchedule, ReturnsSchedule, Mortgages,
>     LimitedPartnerships, PreviousNames) with the profile of which they are a
>     part. It is also used to associate a RegisteredComany with its
>     CompanyProfile."
>
> On the one hand, it is open-domained, which I assume means that nothing can be
> inferred about the type of my:instanceOfThing from it being used in the triple
> [1], which is good.

Yes... leaving the domain open makes the property available for reuse with any
subject.

> On the other hand, the comment mentions only that it is used to associate the
> parts of the profile (including RegisteredCompany) with the profile of which
> they are part. That is exactly how it is used in the bathing waters example,
> but not in the triple [1]. Of course, the comment does not say that it is used
> /only/ in that way, so maybe I should go ahead an use it as in [1]. Would I be
> misusing the property if I did that, or should I define a new property with
> the domain my:Thing to provide links to the Companies House profile?
I suspect opinions will vary, but the intention was that the property be left
open for reuse. The uses given were illustrative rather than a constraint. That
could possibly make clearer in the narrative.

> Incidentally, I was curious to see the definition of this
> <http://environment.data.gov.uk/def/bathing-water/appointedSewerageUndertaker>,
> but I can't find it in
> http://environment.data.gov.uk/sources/def/bathing-water.ttl

That's a pity... maybe the update version hasn't made it out there. Here are the
lines you are missing:

    :AppointedSewerageUndertaker
         a                   owl:Class;
         rdfs:subClassOf     org:Organization ;
         rdfs:label          "Appointed Sewerage Undertaker"@en ;
         rdfs:comment        "An organisation, typically a water company, that
    acts as the appointed sewerage undertaker in some locale"@en;
         rdfs:isDefinedBy    bw-ttl:;
         .

    :appointedSewerageUndertaker
         a                   owl:ObjectProperty ;
         rdfs:label          "appointed sewerage undertaker"@en ;
         rdfs:comment        "Associates a bathing water with an organisation,
    typically a water company, that acts as the appointed sewerage undertaker in
    the locale of the corresponding bathing water.";
         rdfs:range          :AppointedSewerageUndertaker ;
         rdfs:domain         :BathingWater ;
         rdfs:isDefinedBy    bw-ttl:;
            .

[Aside: I could be tempted to open up the domain of :appointedSewerageUndertaker.]

> I am also considering the using the rov:hasRegisteredOrganization (see
> https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/#ref_rov_hasRegOrg) property like this:
>
>     my:instanceOfThing rov:hasRegisteredOrganization
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/99999999> .
>
> As I understand it this would have the side effect of asserting that
> my:instanceOfThing is a dcterms:Agent, but that should be OK as the
> description of dcterms:Agent looks 'harmless': " A resource that acts or has
> the power to act. Examples of Agent include person, organization, and software
> agent."
Yes it would have that side effect. Personally it's an implication that I'd
perhaps prefer to avoid (that my:instanceOfThing is an instance of
dcterms:Agent) - I've tend to use Agent to cover Person/Organisation like things
(more like legal person I suppose) - things that you could take to court.
However, I'd acknowledge the inclusion of "software agent" which is something
that might be hard to set before a judge - modulo driver-less cars :-).
> I'd be very interested to hear any views on how these two approaches
> (rov:hasRegisteredOrganization and chterms:companyProfile) compare.
>
> --
> Matt Wallis
> Institute for Solidarity Economics
> http://www.solidarityeconomics.org
Stuart

--
Epimorphics Ltd                        www.epimorphics.com
Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT

Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England (number 7016688)
Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK