Re: How to link to Companies House (UK) data?

On 13/01/2017 12:58, Brian McBride wrote:

> On 13/01/17 10:48, Phil Archer wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The latter is a reference to the ORG Ontology,
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-org/ which is what you probably want. So
>> I'd do this:
>>
>> <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948> a
>> org:FormalOrganization, my:Thing .
> My reading of Matt's message is that he is trying to link *instances*
> of my:Thing to instances in the Companies House RDF, viz:
>
>    my:object a my:Thing .
>    my:object predicate
> <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948> .
Yes, I do want to link instances. Looking now again at Phil Archer's
suggestion, above, I see (if I understand it correctly) that it does not
say which instance of my:Thing is linked to
<http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948>.

> Matt:  amongst the predicates you might use is:
>
>   my:object owl:sameAs <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948> .
>
> This is a very strong statement in that it says the your object is
> identical to the thing identified by the Companies House URL. Every
> property of my:object is also a property of the companies house
> resource and vice versa.  There is the possibility that there could be
> subtle modelling differences between your object and the Companies
> House one.  If that is the case, don't use owl:sameAs.
 From previous reading, I am cautious about using owl:sameAs. It may
turn out that this is the correct relationship, but I won't use it
unless I am absolutely sure.

> An alternative is:
>
>   my:object rdfs:seeAlso
> <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948> .
>
> This is a much, much weaker statement.  rdfs:seeAlso provides a link
> but with no formal meaning.  Its definition says:
>
> [[
> that is used to indicate a resource that might provide additional
> information about the subject resource.
> ]]
>
> So if you want to make an assertion when you make the link,
> rdfs:seeAlso doesn't cut it.
>
> Neither of these is UK specific.
>
> Others on the list may provide further suggestions with more suitable
> meaning.  A good thing to think about would be "what am I trying to
> say when I assert this link".
What I am trying to assert is that one can expect to find information
about the formal company registration of a particular instance of
my:Thing. I want to provide the link so that properties of the company
registration can be retrieved for a particular instance of my:Thing. I
want it to be specifically about company registration, so I think
rdfs:seeAlso is too general.

> owl:sameAs says roughly - "these URIs identify exactly the same thing".
>
> rdfs:seeAlso says roughly - "retrieving this link might get you more data"
>
> Brian
Thank you for your help.

--
Matt Wallis