Re: How to link to Companies House (UK) data?

Hi Melvin,
Thanks you for taking the time to reply. Comments below...

On 13/01/2017 11:35, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 12 January 2017 at 14:28, Matt Wallis <matt@solidarityeconomics.org
> <mailto:matt@solidarityeconomics.org>> wrote:
>
>     As a relative newcomer to LOD (first post here), I have a very
>     basic question: How to link from an object specified in RDF to a
>     Companies House URI for data about a particular registered company?
>

> Welcome!
>

>     Suppose, for example that I have a class, my:Thing, and that some
>     of these Things are also registered companies. I want to provide a
>     link from an instance of my:Thing to the data held by Companies House.
>     Let's suppose that the Companies House URI is
>     http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948>.
>
>     Is there an existing predicate that I can simply add to my
>     resource description? Like this:
>

> Unsure what's existing in this domain, a good search engine is :
> https://lov.okfn.org/
Thank you for the tip about lov.okfn.org. My search there for
"RegisteredOrganization" also (in addition to your suggestion below
concerning
http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile) returned
the property rov:hasRegisteredOrganization. This seems on the surface
also to be a candidate for the predicate I'm looking for. Although I
notice that the domain of that property is dcterms:Agent. I'm still
trying to understand what this means in practice: Does that mean:

    A) I need to declare my:Thing as being a dcterms:Agent?, or
    B) my:object is inferred to be a dcterms:Agent by virtue of the fact
    that I have used my:object as the subject of a
    rov:hasRegisteredOrganization predicate?

In either case, does the introduction of the new entity dcterms:Agent
have any side-effects that I should be aware of?

>         my:object a my:Thing .
>         my:object predicate
>         <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948>
>         <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/08209948> .
>

> What you need is a predicate that links from your my:object to a
> company profile page.  Something along the lines of :
>
> urn:string:companyProfilePage
>
> An HTTP URI is much better than my made up string urn, of course.
>
> A promising lead is :
> http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile but I
> have not verified what this actually is.
>
> Perhaps this is more what your question is about?
That certainly looks like a good candidate for modelling the
relationship I have described. I'm not sure how to choose between

    rov:hasRegisteredOrganization, and
    http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile, (and
    <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile>
    other suggestions made elsewhere in this thread).

Am I right that the use of the UK-specific predicate
http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile is
appropriate when I am linking to UK-specific data (in Companies House).
Could it in fact be argued that it provides more information because it
declares that one can expect to find UK-specific Companies House data in
the object of this triple?

>     Or do I need to modify the definition of the my:Thing class in
>     order to provide this link? If so how?
>

> I dont think so, or perhaps I've misunderstood the question as to why.
I don't think you have misunderstood the question.

>     An extra requirement is that I don't want the mechanism to be
>     UK-specific. I see from the Companies House data model
>     (http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/docs/data-model-reference.html
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/docs/data-model-reference.html>)
>     that it uses the Registered Organization Vocabulary
>     (https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/
>     <https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/>) which is not UK-specific.
>     In particular:
>
>         http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/RegisteredCompany
>         <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/RegisteredCompany>
>         rdfs:subClassOf
>         http://www.w3.org/ns/regorg#RegisteredOrganization
>         <http://www.w3.org/ns/regorg#RegisteredOrganization>
>
>     So I'm hoping that there's a straightforward way for the linkage
>     mechanism to work without it being UK-specific.
>
>     In case it is relevant, my:Thing is actually
>     http://purl.org/solidarityeconomics/experimental/essglobal/vocab/SSEInitiative
>     <http://purl.org/solidarityeconomics/experimental/essglobal/vocab/SSEInitiative>
>     .
>

> Do you have a pointer to the URI that denotes your SSE?  It may be
> easier to work with an example.
Here is an example URI of an SSEInitiative:
http://data.solidarityeconomics.org/id/experimental/test/co-ops-uk/R000168
There's content negotiation set up to obtain HTML, RDF/XML and Turtle,
but in any case, the RDF/XML and Turtle are displayed in the HTML page.

--
Matt Wallis
Institute for Solidarity Economics