Re: Where are the Linked Data Driven Smart Agents (Bots) ?

I would look at the history of the conventional web client as a parallel to
the "semantic web."

Not long after Netscape,  it was clear that a "personal web crawler" was a
possible thing that a person could use to answer some question.  Rather
than being dependent on InfoSeek or Altavista,  you could get a much deeper
understanding than you get from Google which is so oriented to P@1.

There are things like w3mir and httrack,  and wizards code up task-focused
web crawlers all the time,  but you don't see a lot in the way for tools
for ordinary computer users to say,  crawl out the web site of some place
like BlackRock and make a list of all the investment funds they run.

Part of that is that a webcrawler is a weapon of mass destruction,  a good
client can pitch more than an many servers can catch,  so the easier
products like this are to use the more complaints you get.

Web browsers have come a long way in a lot of ways but the mechanisms for
(1) bookmarks and (2) history are not good enough,  see:  so even if you
look at that case there is plenty of data on the client,  you are not GET
spamming people,  etc.

Also:  really what is the distinction of "client" and "server?"  It is
totally practical to run (say) a Windows application on a Windows tablet or
run the same application on a $10 an hour server at AWS over Remote Desktop
protocol and then the "client" could be Linux or an Amiga or something so
long as the network is fast.

--
Paul Houle

*Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes*

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontology2@gmail.com

:BaseKB -- Query Freebase Data With SPARQL
http://basekb.com/gold/

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup
https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/
<http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/>