From: Hugh Williams [mailto:hwilliams@openlinksw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 3:15 PM
To: Jean-Claude Moissinac <jean-claude.moissinac@telecom-paristech.fr>
Cc: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Size a linked open data set

Hi Jean-Claude,

The "select count(distinct ?r) where { ?r ?p ?l }” query is expensive in terms of database resources and would result in a huge hash table being creating to try and service it which is causing it to timeout based on the settings on the instance by whoever maintains it.

On http://dbpedia.org/sparql the original canonical English DBpedia endpoint OpenLink Software hosts, we provide preloaded VOID datasets, such that they don’t have to be queried each time, see http://dbpedia.org/void/Dataset , but the French DBpedia instance does not appear to have this ie http://fr.dbpedia.org/void/Dataset

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
Professional Services
OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/

Weblog   -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/

LinkedIn -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/

Twitter  -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink

Google+  -- http://plus.google.com/100570109519069333827/

Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware

Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology Providers