Re: Unacceptable (was Re: CFP - IEEE Technically Sponsored Computing Conference 2017 (London))

On 2016-08-25 10:12, Courtney, Paul K. wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I’ve been watching you from the sidelines be the sole vocal arbiter on the matter of CFP and I really don’t understand the need you have to be unprofessional, rude, and snarky each and every time. This does nothing in my opinion but create an atmosphere of smug satisfaction for those who agree with you and dread for those who don’t.

I fail to see how you reached that conclusion from the message below:

> On 8/25/16, 5:13 AM, "Phil Archer" <phila@w3.org> wrote:
>
>     Dear Supriya Kapoor,
>
>     Your message to this and two other W3C lists is pure spam.
>
>     See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2016May/0032.html.

I think Phil is going above and beyond trying to preserve some sanity
and some little order in the W3C mailing lists.

Posting on the W3C mailing IMHO is not a right, it should be seen as a
privilege. The only thing that's requested is following up on some
guidelines/policy (which is repeated more often than I can count) as to
keep the lists manageable and reduce everyone's cognitive load.

The given:

* arbitrary / spam-like messages on W3C mailing lists are not welcome -
is there a more ethical way to address this and can be carried forward?
Will you be fulfilling this role?

* Are the guidelines too much of a high bar to participate and be
respectful to all consumers? How do you find similar actions are taken
in other mailing lists?

I've seen only professionalism here by Phil. If you truly believe that
some remarks are "unprofessional, rude, and snarky", would you consider
giving them a little break? There is a human behind there somewhere that
has to or wishes to make it all worthwhile for everyone :)

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i