Re: Please publish Turtle or JSON-LD instead of RDF/XML [was Re: Recommendation for transformation of RDF/XML to JSON-LD in a web browser?]

+1 to minimize RDF/XML use!

I do also think there is the same danger now of JSON-LD being seen as
a dialect of JSON, rather than a way to serialize RDF.

I have seen people trying to do "JSON-LD" with arbitrary JSON added
here and there. Some even interpreted "Linked Data" as meaning "Just
make some JSON with arbitrary keys and put it on the web". For many
developers who come fresh to RDF/Linked Data - the first thing they
see is the serialization and they want to stop there - they have
enough other things to worry about.

I think that is fine, as long as they don't try to push the
serialization further or add additional hidden meanings - RDF as a
graph still should be in the back of your mind - e.g. a nested
JSON-object in JSON-LD is not magically "owned" by the super-parent.
You can have nice-to-have structures, e.g. like you say to do
transformations, and also Linked Data By Stealth.

I must admit I have even done XML Schemas for documents that just
happens to be valid RDF/XML documents - (this was before JSON-LD and
Turtle were standards) - this was pushing the envelope in both
directions (e.g. needing double-nested XML elements, one for the
property, and one for the class) and I wouldn't do this again - but
doing similar in the JSON world can still be useful as long as we
don't push it too far or hide the RDF semantics too well.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science