Re: Will or can academic publisher's accept submissions in HTML-and-friends?

Maybe you should join the W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group and ask
what they think there.
http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Main_Page

They have a public mailing list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/