Re: "Microsoft Access" for RDF?

On 2/19/15 4:08 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> No, this is dangerous and is hiding the truth.

What?

> Take the red pill and admit to the user that this particular property
> is unordered, for instance by always listing the values sorted
> (consistency is still king).

A Predicate is a sentence forming Relation. Thus, you can effectively
group RDF relations by Predicate scoped to a Named Graph IRI, if you
choose. Naturally, you can also apply other forms of ordering, en route
to effect UI/UX.

> Then make it easy to do lists and collections.

You can describe collections using RDF statements, I don't have any idea
how what I am talking about implies collection exclusion.

> Don't let the user encode information he considers important in a way
> that is not preserved semantically.

??

> If you are limited by typing of rdf:List elements, then look at  owl
> approaches for collections that allow you to order items and use owl
> reasoning for list membership - see
> https://code.google.com/p/collections-ontology/

Why do you think we've built an RDF editor without factoring in OWL?

> Ordering of which properties to show in which order on a form is
> another matter, that is a presentational view over the model.

Sorta.

> The :View could simply be a choice of an owl:Class and a partial order
> of owl:Properties instances of that class "should have".

There is no perfect view. You simply need a view to enables:

1. coherent data curation
2. provides the user with choices in regards to how items are categorized.

I think we are better off waiting until we release our RDF Editor. We
actually built this on the request of a vary large customer. This isn't
a speculative endeavor. It's actually being used by said organization as
I type....

We've opted (we didn't have to) to make it Open Source too.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com