Re: "Microsoft Access" for RDF?

Hi Paul,
I’ve looked at your initial msg & 22 responses, including the Albert Einstein references that detail your requirements.

If I may rephrase your question, you appear to be looking for something simple for non-technical people to use, thus the “Access” reference. Also, you appear to need a tool that is template-driven in order to create Web forms for viewing and editing semi & structured data. Further, you’d like this tool to be 1) Linked Data aware and 2) able to query any SPARQL endpoint you point it to, and 3) it must be Web scale.

If that is a fair summary of requirements, I encourage you to look at the Callimachus Open Source Project.[1]  Callimachus helps Web developers create linked data based applications. Code is on GitHub.[2]

Callimachus is an IDE for data-driven apps. It is database agnostic and can speak to any SPARQL v1.1 compliant endpoint, including but not limited to GraphDB, MarkLogic 8, AllegroGraph and StarDog.  To be clear, Callimachus is not a database — it talks to persistent stores via SPARQL among other protocols.

The apps created using Callimachus are simple to use -- they look & feel like a wiki.  If you can fill out a web form or use a wiki, you can use a Callimachus app.

Our team routinely combines public & private datasources that are extracts of RDBMS (as CSV usually), and RDF to publish hundreds of millions of nicely styled pages (using Bootstrap3). Callimachus supports all kinds of nice transformations using pipelines, active PURLs, etc.

For your needs, check out a basic Callimachus app that combines several public data sources, allows for crowdsourcing and includes content from US open gov’t sites, Wikipedia (DBpedia), Open Corporates and Open Street Maps.  See the public Orgpedia pilot, an open organizational data project funded by the Sloan Foundation. Orgpedia is a free, not for profit online directory using open data about US, international, public & private companies.[3]  This app shows ownership of US based nuclear power plants, driven by some open datasets from the US EPA, Nuclear Regulatory Commission and SEC.

I think your question involves crowdsourcing —  you can see how we handled crowdsourcing, starting with authenticating using a FB, Google, Yahoo! or Callimachus account. A user can add images, link to Wikipedia articles or make corrections to existing data using a familiar Web form.[4]

Have a look & email the Callimachus public list if you have any questions.[5]  All the best.

Cheers,

Bernadette Hyland
http://about.me/bernadettehyland

---