Re: [Dbpedia-ontology] [Dbpedia-discussion] Advancing the DBpedia ontology

I agree that there are problems with the mappings.  However, how can the
mappings be fixed without fixing the ontology?

peter

On 02/18/2015 05:03 AM, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My presentations from the Dublin meeting are at
>
> -
> http://VladimirAlexiev.github.io/pres/20150209-dbpedia/add-mapping-long.html

An example of adding a mapping, while making a couple props along the way and
reporting a couple of problems.

> -
> http://VladimirAlexiev.github.io/pres/20150209-dbpedia/dbpedia-problems-long.html

Provides a wider perspective that data problems are not only due to the
ontology, but many other areas.
> 3. Mapping Language Issues 4. Mapping Server Deficiencies 5. Mapping Wiki
> Deficiencies 6. Mapping Issues 7. Extraction Framework Issues 8. External
> Mapping Problems 9. Ontology Problems Almost all of these are also
> reported in the two trackers described in sec.2
>
>> Heiko Paulheim <heiko@informatik.uni-mannheim.de> wrote: I am currently
>> working with Aldo Gangemi on exploiting the mappings to DOLCE (and the
>> high level disjointness axioms in DOLCE) for finding modeling issues
>> both in the instances and the ontology.
>
> Sounds very interesting!
>
> I've been quite active in the last couple of months, but I've been
> pecking at random here and there. More systematic approaches are
> definitely needed, as soon as they are not limited to a theoretical
> experiment, or a one-time effort that's quickly closed down.
>
> I've observed many error patterns, and if people smarter than me can
> devise ways to leverage and amplify these observations using algorithmic
> or ML approaches, that could create fast progress. I give some examples
> of the "Need for Research" of specific problems:
> http://VladimirAlexiev.github.io/pres/20150209-dbpedia/dbpedia-problems-long.html#sec-6-5
>  and next section.
>
>> Harald Sack: apply the DBpedia ontology to detect inconsistencies and
>> flaws in DBpedia facts. This should not only be possible in a
>> retroactive way, but should take place much earlier. Besides the
>> detection of inconsistencies during the mapping process or afterwards
>> in the extracted data
>
> Sounds very promising! If I can help somehow with "manual ontological &
> wiki labor", let me know. Data vs ontology validation can provide -
> mapping defect lists - useful hints that the Extraction can use. The most
> important feature would be Use Domain & Range to Guide Extraction
> http://vladimiralexiev.github.io/pres/20150209-dbpedia/dbpedia-problems-long.html#sec-7-4
>

>> this could already be possible right from the start when the user is
>> changing the wikipedia infobox content (in the sense of type checking
>> for domain/range, checking of class disjointness and further
>> constraints, plausibility check for dates
>
> I'm doubtful of the utility of "error lists" to Wikipedia (or it needs to
> be done with skill and tact): 1. The mapping wiki adopts an Object vs
> DataProp Dichotomy (uses owl:ObjectProperty and owl:DatatypeProperty and
> never rdf:Property). But MANY Wikipedia fields include both links and
> text, and in many cases BOTH are useful
> http://vladimiralexiev.github.io/pres/20150209-dbpedia/dbpedia-problems-long.html#sec-3-2

2. At the end of the day, Wikipedia is highly-crafted text, so telling
Wikipedia editors that they can't write something, will not sit well with them.