Re: How do you explore a SPARQL Endpoint?

We had occasion to need this ability on an application we were building for
a client using a triple store (TS). Triples were being created using
scripts and being updated into the TS,we also had an application that
allowed users to enter information which added more triples.  All of this
was backed by an ontology that was evolving. It was pretty tricking knowing
what parts of the ontology were being exercised and which were not.  So we
wrote some SPARQL queries that produced a table where each row said
something like this:
There are 543 triples where the subject is  of type Person and the
predicate is employedBy and the object is of type Organization.
A row looked like this:

Subject

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Lushan Han <lushan1@umbc.edu> wrote:

> This work [1] might be helpful to some people. It automatically learns a
> "schema" from a given RDF dataset, including most probable classes and
> properties and most probable relations/paths between given classes and etc.
> Next, it can automatically translate a casual user's intuitive graph query
> or schema-free query to a formal SPARQL query using the learned schema and
> statistical NLP techniques, like textual semantic similarity.
>
> [1]
> http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/paper/html/id/658/Schema-Free-Querying-of-Semantic-Data
>

> Cheers,
>
> Lushan
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Pavel Klinov <pavel.klinov@uni-ulm.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Bernard Vatant
>> <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Pavel
>> >
>> > Very interesting discussion, thanks for the follow-up.. Some quick
>> answers
>>
>> > below, but I'm currently writing a blog post which will go in more
>> details
>> > on the notion of Data Patterns, a term I've been pushing last week on
>> the DC
>> > Architecture list, where it seems to have gained some traction.
>> > See
>> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind1501&L=dc-architecture
>> > for the discussion.
>>
>> OK, thanks for the link, will check it out. I agree that the patterns
>> is perhaps a better term than "schema" since by the latter people
>> typically mean explicit specification. I guess it's my use of the term
>> "schema" which created some confusion initially.

>> > Certainly, and I would rewrite this question : How do you find out data
>> > patterns in a dataset?
>>
>> I think it's a more general and tough question having to do with data
>> mining. Not sure that anyone would venture into finding out data
>> patterns against a public endpoint just to be able to write queries
>> for it.

>> > Well, that's where I don't follow. If data, as it happens more and
>> more, is
>> > gathered from heterogeneous sources, the very notion of a conceptual
>> model
>> > is jumping to conclusions.
>>
>> A merger of structures is still a structure. By anyways, I've already
>> agreed to say patterns =)
>>
>> > In natural languages, patterns often precede the
>> > grammar describing them, even if the patterns described in the grammar
>> at
>> > some point become prescriptive rules. Data should be looked at the same
>> way.
>>
>> Not sure. I won't immediately disagree since I don't have statistics
>> regarding structured/unstructured datasets out there.

>> > When the dataset gathers various sources and various vocabularies, such
>> > schema does not exists, actually.
>>
>> Not necessarily. Parts of it may exist. Take yago, for example. It's
> [...]

Michael Uschold
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts
   http://www.semanticarts.com
   LinkedIn: http://tr.im/limfu
   Skype, Twitter: UscholdM