Re: [ANN] nature.com/ontologies - July 2015 Release

Hi Hugh:

Many thanks for the comments. This is exactly the kind of thing we need to
hear.

So, I think you may have raised four separate points which I'll try to
answer in turn:

==
1. Examples

You are right. We've been sloppy. These were intended more for reading
than parsing. So we took liberties with omitting common namespaces,
abbreviating strings, etc. Punctuation, we were just careless.

But I agree there is real value in making these examples complete. We will
address this in our next release.

2. Dereference

We really have no defence here. **We do not support dereference at this
time.** The datasets are outputs from our production systems and HTTP URIs
are used for namespacing only. We need to figure out a strategy for
supporting dereference.

So, if that means we are Bad Guys for violating Principle 2, then so be
it. We are not trying to claim that this is true Linked Data - it's only
common-or-garden linked data (of the RDF kind).

That's not to say that we are not interested in adding in dereference.
Only that these things take time to implement and we are proceeding with
our data publishing in an incremental manner.

So, for now, sorry!

3. URNs, etc

Note that the RDF you obtained from dereferencing the DOI is from CrossRef
- not from ourselves. So we cannot properly answer for something retrieved
from a third party. That said, CrossRef are also in the early stages of
data publishing, and may not themselves have reached the Linked Data
standard. Again, seems like it's only RDF at this time.

4. Mappings

Am a little perplexed as to the distinction between mappings and links,
although maybe I can see where you're coming from. Note that we're anyway
planning to decouple our ontology mappings and put those in separate files
and list then under Mappings. Our core and domain ontologies generally
have SKOS mappings, i.e. we use skos:closeMatch, skos:broadMatch,
skos:exactMatch, skos:relatedMatch, etc. This feels appropriate for the
ontology and the taxonomies.

I guess we are cautiously feeling our way forward and want to be a little
careful about using owl:sameAs.

==

So, I hope we've clarified some things here. There's a couple obvious
things we can do/are doing (examples, mappings). Some other things are out
of our hands (DOI dereference). And some will need more time for us to
implement (dereference generally).

Anyway, many thanks again for all your comments. It's really good to hear
back from real users. Otherwise it can feel like we are whistling in the
wind.

Tony

On 07/08/2015 12:48, "Hugh Glaser" <hugh@glasers.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by
>>anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received
>>this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your
>>mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers
>>Limited nor Macmillan Publishers International Limited nor any of their
>>agents accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the
>>sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers
>>Limited or Macmillan Publishers International Limited or one of their
>>agents.
>> Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor Macmillan
>>Publishers International Limited nor any of their agents accept any
>>responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or its
>>attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
>> attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
>>Macmillan Publishers Limited or Macmillan Publishers International
>>Limited or their agents by means of e-mail communication.
>> Macmillan Publishers Limited. Registered in England and Wales with
>>registered number 785998. Macmillan Publishers International Limited.
>>Registered in England and Wales with registered number 02063302.
>> Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS
>> Pan Macmillan, Priddy and MDL are divisions of Macmillan Publishers
>>International Limited.
>> Macmillan Science and Education, Macmillan Science and Scholarly,
>>Macmillan Education, Language Learning, Schools, Palgrave, Nature
>>Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Science Communications
>>and Macmillan Medical Communications are divisions of Macmillan
>>Publishers Limited.
>>
>>*************************************************************************
>>*******
>>

>--
>Hugh Glaser
>   20 Portchester Rise
>   Eastleigh
>   SO50 4QS
>Mobile: +44 75 9533 4155, Home: +44 23 8061 5652

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor Macmillan Publishers International Limited nor any of their agents accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or Macmillan Publishers International Limited or one of their agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor Macmillan Publishers International Limited nor any of their agents accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or Macmillan Publishers International Limited or their agents by means of e-mail communication.