Re: Research Track at 14th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2015). Abstract deadline in 2 weeks!

On 2015-04-09 06:53, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> All research submissions must be in English, and no longer than 16 pages.
> Papers that exceed this limit will be rejected without review. Submissions
> must be in PDF formatted in the style of the Springer Publications format
> for Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). For details on the LNCS
> style, see Springer’s Author Instructions. ISWC-2015 submissions are not
> anonymous.
>
> We also encourage authors to include pointers to any additional material
> that supports the scientific claims made in their papers (e.g., extended
> technical reports, source code, datasets, links to applications).

Interesting to note that this call finds a need to make a statement that
anything which goes in the direction of reproducibility is "encouraged",
as opposed to being mandatory and taken as a given in the *spirit of
science*.

Essentially what *really* qualifies as scientific work (or close enough)
for ISWC research articles is that it needs to *first and foremost* fit
into the boundaries of a rectangular box (e.g., an A4 paper), and when
printed, it is at stated maximum page length. Second, it needs to get an
approval from a couple of anonymous reviewers.

> Authors of accepted papers will be required to provide semantic annotations
> for the abstract of their submission, which will be made available on the
> conference web site. Details will be provided at the time of acceptance.

WONTFIX.

This is a dead-end exercise. A data-silo is a data-silo, no matter the
make-up it puts on.

If the gleaned left-over metadata was of any real use from these papers,
we would see something remarkably informative over the years about the
research field by now, understand which problems are actually solved,
which remain open; a gap in research, and distill the type of funding
opportunities. The Semantic Web Dogfood can only do so much with what it
is given. The real barriers are set beforehand at the time of
communicating the research results. The communication is strictly
visual, linear, non-interactive, and anti-social.

> Accepted papers will be distributed to conference attendees and also
> published by Springer in the printed conference proceedings, as part of the
> Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.

There is not a hint of "Web" here.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i