Re: ANN: DBpedia Version 2014 released

On 9/9/14 5:59 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would happily add the DBpedia ontology to the Linked Open
> Vocabularies data base, but I'm afraid to say that this version is
> still published in a completely non LOV-able way.
>
> - The ontology namespace http://dbpedia.org/ontology/ is
> dereferenceable, but what it yields is neither the ontology content,
> nor even proper metadata beyond owl:versionInfo 4.0-SNAPSHOT. Big deal
> :) To put it short, the description you GET from this URI is basically
> useless.
>
> - To get the ontology content, you have to make your way through the
> documentation at http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Ontology2014, find out that
> the ontology file is available at
> http://downloads.dbpedia.org/2014/dbpedia_2014.owl.bz2 in the form of
> an archive that you have to open to get the RDF content itself. Which
> does not provide more metadata than the above, BTW. Nor link to the
> prior version, changes
>
> I'm really sad to see DBpedia giving such a bad practice example for
> the publication of its ontology. This point has already been made for
> previous versions, I was hoping to find some improvement in this version.
>
> I really think that it should be peanuts to fix this given the
> tremendous task force and technical infrastructure supporting DBpedia.
> If there are technical reasons preventing this ontology to be properly
> published at its namespace, I'm curious to hear about them.
>
> Best regards

Bernard,

As you can see from the announcement, this is a little transition period
between the combination of DBpedia datasets and Linked Data deployment,
via the DBpedia endpoint.

This is simply a case of transition. The problem will be fixed,
promptly. The URIs below should aid tracking and problem comprehension.
Also, these URIs won't change following resolution of the TCN issues.
Might even be fixed before you read this response.

[1] http://dbpedia.org/ontology/TimePeriod
[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9CU7GSFP -- the problem (which is
basically TCN and legacy issues with text/rdf+n3 and text/turtle).

Kingsley

> <mailto:chris@bizer.de>>:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     we are happy to announce the release of DBpedia 2014.

>     2. the DBpedia ontology is enlarged and the number of infobox to
>     ontology mappings has risen, leading to richer and cleaner data.
>
>     The English version of the DBpedia knowledge base currently
>     describes 4.58 million things, out of which 4.22 million are
>     classified in a consistent ontology
>     (http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Ontology2014) ...
>
>     --
>
>     Prof. Dr. Christian Bizer