Re: type of http://dbpedia.org/page/Bachelor_of_Arts

Hi Valentina,

(and CCing the DBpedia discussion list)

this is an effect of the heuristic typing we employ in DBpedia [1]. It
works correctly in many cases, and sometimes it fails - as for these
examples (the classic tradeoff between coverage and precision).

To briefly explain how the error comes into existence: we look at the
distribution of types that occur for the ingoing properties of an
untyped instance. For dbpedia:Bachelor_of_Arts, there are, among others,
208 ingoing properties with the predicate dbpedia-owl:almaMater (which
is already questionable). For that predicate, 87.6% of the objects are
of type dbpedia-owl:University. So we have a strong pattern, with many
supporting statements, and we conclude that dbpedia:Bachelor_of_Arts is
a university. That mechanism, as I said, works reasonable well, but
sometimes fails at single instances, like this one. For
dbpedia:Academic_degree, you'll find similar questionable statements
involving that instace, that mislead the heuristic typing algorithm.

With the 2014 release, we further tried to reduce errors like these by
filtering common nouns using WordNet before assigning types to
instances, but both "Academic degree" and "Bachelor of Arts" escaped our
nets here :-(

The public DBpedia endpoint loads both the infobox based types and the
heuristic types. If you need a "clean" version, I advise you to set up a
local endpoint and load only the infobox based types into it.

Best,
Heiko

[1] http://www.heikopaulheim.com/documents/iswc2013.pdf

--