Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

+1

This is precisely one of the main ideas we pursued in Wf4Ever. The paper
in whatever format is not enough, you also need to preserve the methods
and their implementation, including the workflows and the datasets, not
only for validation and reproducibility purpose in the face of
publication but ultimately for incremental reuse and scientific development.

Publications indeed shouldn't be seen as a static piece of paper but
rather as a (linked) piece of knowledge which can be revised and evolve
in time. So, tooling is required that supports the management of the
lifecycle of such knowledge, from creation of specific research objects
to reuse, including ways to deal with decay and exploration and
inspection capabilities.

In this direction, we took incremental steps through actual deployments
of project outcomes in the previously mentioned platforms. Furthermore,
we also integrated almost the whole set of functionalities into the
ROHub.org platform, which was demonstrated in the last Semantic
Publishing Challenge in ESWC [1,2] as a step forward in the direction
you mention.

To me it would make absolute sense to see further community pull of this
kind of tooling, starting with their utilization in the conferences and
journals of our own field (ESWC, ISWC, etc.) in order to incubate, gain
traction, and draw conclusions that we could generalize to other domains.

If this sounds appealing to the folks in this list, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jose

[1]
http://2014.eswc-conferences.org/sites/default/files/eswc2014-challenges_spc_submission_3.pdf
[2] http://2014.eswc-conferences.org/program/semwebeval

--

Dr. Jose Manuel Gomez-Perez
Director R&D

iSOCO
      enabling the networked economy
      www.isoco.com

P Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.