Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

querying PDFs is NOT simple and requires a lot of work -and usually
produces lots of errors. just querying metadata is not enough. As I said
before, I understand the PDF as something that gives me a uniform layout.
that is ok and necessary, but not enough or sufficient within the context
of the web of data and scientific publications. I would like to have the
content readily available for mining purposes. if I pay for the publication
I should get access to the publication in every format it is available. the
content should be presented in a way so that it makes sense within the web
of data.  if it is the full content of the paper represented in RDF or XML
fine. also, I would like to have well annotated content, this is simple and
something that could quite easily be part of existing publication
workflows. it may also be part of the guidelines for authors -for instance,
identify and annotate rhetorical structures.

--
Alexander Garcia
http://www.alexandergarcia.name/