Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

Hello Paul,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 04:05:07PM -0500, Paul Tyson wrote:
> Yes. We are setting the bar too low. The field of knowledge computing
> will only reach maturity when authors can publish their theses in such a
> manner that one can programmatically extract the concepts, propositions,
> and arguments;

I thought Kingsley is the only one seriously suggesting that we communicate in
triples. Let's take one step back to the proposal of making research datasets
machine readable with RDF.

Please go to http://crcns.org/NWB

Have a look at an example dataset:

 http://crcns.org/data-sets/hc/hc-3/about-hc-3

"The total size of the data is about 433 GB compressed"

Even if you do not use triples for all of that (which would be insane),
specifying a "structured data container" is a very difficult task.

So instead of talking about setting the bar higher, why not just help the
people over there with their problem?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--