Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 10/3/14 11:50 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> In my opinion PDF is currently the clear winner over HTML in both the
> ability to produce readable documents and the ability to display
> readable documents in the way that the author wants them to display.

Why can can't we start with RDF documents, and then generate HTML, PDF,
Latex etc.. documents from base RDF documents?

I can't believe we don't do this, circa., 2014.

Why do we work unproductively with HTML, PDF, Latex etc.. when they can
all be generated from RDF documents?

The steps should be:

1. Create an RDF Document
2. Generate HTML, PDF, Latex etc.. from the RDF document
3. Deliver a bundle comprised of RDF, HTML, PDF, Latex, or whatever the
conference seeks -- if conferences in question are associated with
Linked Open Data and the Semantic Web they should look themselves in the
mirror when rejecting this kind of loosely-coupled bundle.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com