Re: Formats and icing (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

Dear Sarven et al,

I'd like to say that I'm an HTML/CSS/JavaScript aficionado so I'd be
the first to embrace Web standards to produce publications. I'm simply
playing a bit of the devil's advocate here because I think that Latex
is still more mature than HTML for writing papers. However, I must
admit I'd like to see a future where that is different.

But before we ask conferences to embrace this still immature HTML
world (at least for producing papers) we must write the frameworks,
the libraries, the CSS templates that enable the same level of
publication that Latex enables. JavaScript for example can help with
the kerning issue (http://kerningjs.com/) and this should be part of
the "HTML publisher toolkit". For solving the browser inconsistencies,
standalone tools (based on a Webkit engine for example) must be built
that produce a consistent printable layout no matter the operating
system (browser fonts render differently on Mac/Windows/Linux).

So yes, we can get there, but there's some work to be done to prove
that HTML is up for task. And once we get there, then we can start
going crazy and adding interactions which is really the power of the
Web platform.

Phillip Lord, by interactions I don't mean simple animations, I mean
this: http://worrydream.com/LadderOfAbstraction/ - use the right side
scrolling to instantly see the output given different inputs. That's
powerful stuff.

Best,
Luca