Re: Debates of the European Parliament as LOD

On 11 Nov 2014, at 23:08, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com<mailto:juanfederico@gmail.com>> wrote:

Laura,

Is the data tagged or annotated somehow to specific topics?

No. What we do have in that direction is the title of the agenda item, for example “French Football Federation fine” or “Statement by Mr Prodi”. Also, we have info on the committee that the speakers work in. E.g. a speech from someone in the agriculture committee is likely to be about agriculture. However, people can be members of multiple committees.

Laura

Juan Sequeda
+1-575-SEQ-UEDA
www.juansequeda.com<http://www.juansequeda.com/>

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Hollink, L. <l.hollink@vu.nl<mailto:l.hollink@vu.nl>> wrote:
On 08 Nov 2014, at 17:20, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org<mailto:timbl@w3.org>> wrote:

> On 2014-11 -05, at 11:19, Hollink, L. <l.hollink@vu.nl<mailto:l.hollink@vu.nl>> wrote:
>
>> ----- Dataset announcement -----
>>
>> We are happy to announce the release of a new linked dataset: the proceedings of the plenary debates of the European Parliament as Linked Open Data...
>>
>> The dataset covers all plenary debates held in the European Parliament (EP) between July 1999 and January 2014, and biographical information about the members of parliament. It includes: the monthly sessions of the EP, the agenda of debates, the spoken words and translations thereof in 21 languages; the speakers, their role and the country they represent; membership of national parties, European parties and commissions. The data is available though a SPARQL endpoint, see http://linkedpolitics.ops.few.vu.nl/ for more details.
>>
>> Please note that this is a first version; we hope you will try it out and send us your feedback!
>>
>> ----- Access to the data -----
>> We provide access in three ways:
>> • Through a SPARQL endpoint at http://linkedpolitics.ops.few.vu.nl/sparql/
>> • Using the ClioPatria web interface at http://linkedpolitics.ops.few.vu.nl/
>> • By downloading data dumps. See http://linkedpolitics.ops.few.vu.nl/.
>>

> I am on a plane so I can't check but I hope also the data is Linked Data,
> in that every URI used can be looked up directly by HTTP GET.
>

> TimBL

Dear Tim,

Yes it is. Thanks for looking into it!
E.g.
        curl --location --header "Accept:application/rdf+xml" http://purl.org/linkedpolitics/eu/plenary/1999-07-20/Speech_1
gives:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
    <!ENTITY dc 'http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
    <!ENTITY lp 'http://purl.org/linkedpolitics/vocabulary/'>
    <!ENTITY lp_eu 'http://purl.org/linkedpolitics/vocabulary/eu/plenary/'>
    <!ENTITY rdf 'http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
    <!ENTITY xsd 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#'>
]>

<rdf:RDF
    xmlns:dc="&dc;"
    xmlns:lp="&lp;"
    xmlns:lp_eu="&lp_eu;"
    xmlns:rdf="&rdf;"
    xmlns:xsd="&xsd;"

<lp_eu:Speech rdf:about="http://purl.org/linkedpolitics/eu/plenary/1999-07-20/Speech_1">
  <lp:spokenText xml:lang="en">
              – I declare resumed the session of the European Parliament adjourned on 7 May 1999, [ … etc.]

Laura