Re: Bio2RDF vs Linked Life Data

On 6/18/14 8:28 AM, Bonnie MacKellar wrote:
> Hi,
> No I don't know this one.  Is  there any more information?  What is the purpose of this repository? What datasets are cached? I tried clicking on the datasets link in the About tab, but get an error message " Resource /void/Dataset not found.".

Hmm. I'll look into that. Note, we don't publish a VoiD dataset for this
instance. It has 50 Billion+ triples in place already. That said, there
is a Provenance oriented Linked Dataset derived from it (and other data
sources) by Tim Lebo [1][2].

> So this adds to my confusion. What are the differences between Bio2RDF, Linked Life Data, and OpenLink?

Bio2RDF is one of the original Linked Data publication efforts (pretty
much unleashed around the same time as DBpedia). Its datasets are
comprised of data collected from may sources from the realm of life
sciences.

Linked Life Data is a similar effort to Bio2RDF i.e., yet another
dataset comprised of data from various sources in the life sciences realm.

OpenLink Software is a company that develops the DBMS and Linked Data
deployment technology known as Virtuoso. For instance, Virtuoso
instances are used to deploy most (if not all) of the Bio2RDF instances
(which include SPARQL endpoints and Faceted Browsing front-ends).
Likewise, it is also used to deploy the DBpedia and Linked Open Data cache.

> Obviously, included datasets, but I have compared Bio2RDF and Linked Life Data on this dimension (and will soon, if I can get a list from OpenLink), but there is a lot of overlap.

Think of Bio2RDF, Linked Life Data, and the LOD Cloud Cache as Web
accessible DBMS instances accessible via SPARQL compliant query
interfaces -- exposed by SPARQL endpoint URLs.

You can access, merge, reconcile data across these DBMS instances, using
SPARQL.

>   Other people must be also facing this choice, no? Are all of these sites stable? Up to date? How well do they work with tools like Silk? What if I eventually want to use a crawler like LSSpider instead of dumps, so that my results stay up to date? I would assume that these are all questions that application developers who want to use Linked Open Data would be asking.

Yes, but I am sure you can see your demands aren't exactly questions
with simple yes or no answers :)

> Thanks,
> Bonnie MacKellar
> mackellb@stjohns.edu