Re: Updated LOD Cloud Diagram - Missed data sources.

On 2014-07-25 20:46, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On 2014-07-25 20:14, ahogan@dcc.uchile.cl wrote:
>> Finally I wanted to raise one other troubling observation re: the LOD
>> Cloud, which was that *only one new dataset was added to the LOD Cloud
>> group in datahub over a period of twelve months* [2,3]. Jerven just added
>> the first dataset in 8 months, presumably due to this ongoing discussion.
>> One can scroll back in time arbitrarily far in the activity log of the
>> group to see precisely how much activity there has (not) been [3] (e.g.,
>> Ctrl+F for "created"). It's not comfortable reading but I think that we,
>> as a community, should seriously ask ourselves: why there has been so
>> little new activity?
>>
>> [1] Tobias Käfer, Jürgen Umbrich, Aidan Hogan, Axel Polleres. "Towards a
>> Dynamic Linked Data Observatory". LDOW 2012.
>>   - http://aidanhogan.com/docs/dyldo_ldow12.pdf
>>
>> [2] Aidan Hogan, Claudio Gutierrez "Paths towards the Sustainable
>> Consumption of Semantic Data on the Web". In the Proceedings of the
>> Alberto Mendelzon Workshop (AMW), Cartagena, Columbia, 4–6 June, 2014.
>>   - http://aidanhogan.com/docs/amw_2014.pdf
>>
>> [3] http://datahub.io/group/activity/lodcloud/0
>
> Given the state of CKAN, or at least the version that's running
> datahub.io now, looking solely at the lodcloud group [4], may be
> misleading. I can't recall exact dates now, but, there has been a number
> of important changes in the past which made it difficult to pick-up on
> the lodcloud-worthy datasets. For instance, when organizations [5] were
> introduced, datasets dangled around in the global pool. To "reclaim"
> them, you had to create an organization and move the datasets over, with
> permission from the datahub admins. AFAIK (things may have changed) you
> can't have a dataset that belongs to an organization and have it also
> assigned to a group. I suspect that, many (myself included), would
> prefer to manage the organization instead of handing it over to group
> admins. So, this may partially be the reason why the lodcloud group is
> not as active.
>
> [4] http://datahub.io/group/lodcloud
> [5] http://datahub.io/organization

Correction: I was thinking of the lodcloud organization [6]. At one
point (may still be the case), you couldn't have a dataset belonging to
two different organizations. So, it meant that either the organization
of the dataset owner managed it, or handed it over to [6].

I'm sure Ross Jones can clarify.

[6] http://datahub.io/organization/lodcloud

-Sarven