Re: Updated LOD Cloud Diagram - Missed data sources.

On 2014-07-25 20:14, ahogan@dcc.uchile.cl wrote:
> Finally I wanted to raise one other troubling observation re: the LOD
> Cloud, which was that *only one new dataset was added to the LOD Cloud
> group in datahub over a period of twelve months* [2,3]. Jerven just added
> the first dataset in 8 months, presumably due to this ongoing discussion.
> One can scroll back in time arbitrarily far in the activity log of the
> group to see precisely how much activity there has (not) been [3] (e.g.,
> Ctrl+F for "created"). It's not comfortable reading but I think that we,
> as a community, should seriously ask ourselves: why there has been so
> little new activity?
>
> [1] Tobias Käfer, Jürgen Umbrich, Aidan Hogan, Axel Polleres. "Towards a
> Dynamic Linked Data Observatory". LDOW 2012.
>   - http://aidanhogan.com/docs/dyldo_ldow12.pdf
>
> [2] Aidan Hogan, Claudio Gutierrez "Paths towards the Sustainable
> Consumption of Semantic Data on the Web". In the Proceedings of the
> Alberto Mendelzon Workshop (AMW), Cartagena, Columbia, 4–6 June, 2014.
>   - http://aidanhogan.com/docs/amw_2014.pdf
>
> [3] http://datahub.io/group/activity/lodcloud/0

Given the state of CKAN, or at least the version that's running
datahub.io now, looking solely at the lodcloud group [4], may be
misleading. I can't recall exact dates now, but, there has been a number
of important changes in the past which made it difficult to pick-up on
the lodcloud-worthy datasets. For instance, when organizations [5] were
introduced, datasets dangled around in the global pool. To "reclaim"
them, you had to create an organization and move the datasets over, with
permission from the datahub admins. AFAIK (things may have changed) you
can't have a dataset that belongs to an organization and have it also
assigned to a group. I suspect that, many (myself included), would
prefer to manage the organization instead of handing it over to group
admins. So, this may partially be the reason why the lodcloud group is
not as active.

[4] http://datahub.io/group/lodcloud
[5] http://datahub.io/organization

-Sarven