Re: Linked Data and Semantic Web CoolURIs, 303 redirects and Page Rank.

On 7/23/14 5:15 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:

> On 23/07/2014 21:49, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/23/14 3:40 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:
>>> Hi Kingsley
>>>
>>> Very definitely starting to feel like deja vu...

>>> My only point is: if you don't conflate "I can't send that" (303) with
>>> "what flavour would you like" (conneg) you don't have to invest in more
>>> servers

>>> We do use content location for the (information) resource /
>>> representation
>>> split but that's REST not 303 semantics
>>>
>>> michael
>> There is only one kind of relation semantics in play here, and its the
>> semantics of denotation and connotation [1][2].
> Tho derrida didn't have to pay for servers :-/
>
>> HTTP URIs denote things.
> Which can't be served (303)

No, HTTP URIs simply denote things (entities). It has nothing to do with
being served etc..

>> HTTP URLs denote documents comprised of connotation bearing content.
> Which can be served in assorted representations (conneg (+ content
> location))

No, HTTP URLs are a kind of HTTP URI that denote Web Documents. Put
differently, HTTP URLs are for all intents an purposes a colloquialism
for HTTP URIs that focuses on Web Documents, a particular entity type
i.e., entities that are instances of the Classes denoted by the URIs:
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document>,
<http://purl.org/ontology/bibo/Document>,
<http://purl.org/dc/terms/BibliographicResource> etc..

The very same analogy applies to WebIDs which are HTTP URIs that denote
Agents i.e., entities that are instances of the Class denoted by the
URI: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Agent> .

> Think the last time we had this conversation we broke the twitter scroll
> bar and agreed to disagree. Or at worst misunderstand :-)

Long discussions aren't necessarily bad, they can also unravel insights
that are sometimes overlooked :-)

BTW -- one can also deconstruct this issue a different way, starting
with HTTP URI/URLs that denote Documents. It goes something like this:

1. You have a RDF document (comprised of RDF/XML content) denoted by the
HTTP URI/URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h.rdf>
2. The document above describes an entity denoted by the HTTP URI
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h#programme> .

We arrive at the same place (as illustrated by the Vapour links I shared).

My only issue with the BBC programmes URIs right now is that
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h> doesn't make its association
with <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h#programme> discoverable
to RDF user agents. That's where Microdata, RDFa, <link/>, "Link:" come
into play i.e., they provide vehicles for exposing the missing relation
(association, connection, relationship property/predicate etc..).

Also note:

curl -IH "Accept: application/rdf+xml"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache

curl -IH "Accept: application/rdf+xml"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h.rdf
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache

Which reinforces my point re. missing relation to aid RDF user agents.
Simply tacking on ".rdf" to the end of URLs is way too brittle, when a
relation (describes, describedby etc..)  would do much better via RDFa,
Microdata, <link/>, "Link:" etc..

Kingsley