Re: Linked Data and Semantic Web CoolURIs, 303 redirects and Page Rank.

On 7/23/14 3:40 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:
> Hi Kingsley
>
> Very definitely starting to feel like deja vu...

>> >Its a "horses for courses" matter:-)
>> >
>> >If you choose to use hashless HTTP URIs in regards to entity denotation,
>> >you have to make the extra investment required (via 303 heuristics) for
>> >entity disambiguation [1].
> My only point is: if you don't conflate "I can't send that" (303) with
> "what flavour would you like" (conneg) you don't have to invest in more
> servers
>

>> >Note, there are changes to HTTP that also reduce some of the confusion
>> >in this realm. For instance the use "Content-Location:" response headers
>> >to aid disambiguation [2].
> We do use content location for the (information) resource / representation
> split but that's REST not 303 semantics
>
> michael

There is only one kind of relation semantics in play here, and its the
semantics of denotation and connotation [1][2]. HTTP URIs denote things.
HTTP URLs denote documents comprised of connotation bearing content.

In regards, to the current BBC programmes URIs, if you incorporate RDFa,
<link/>, or "Link:" based relations, disambiguation without 303's or
content negotiation is possible. RDF user agents (for example) will be
able to make sense of the relations that that collective describe
documents about programmes and actual programmes.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/what-does-this-bbc-programmes-uri-denote -- Vapour
using RDF semantics discern what
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h> denotes and connotes