From: David Booth [mailto:david@dbooth.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:18 AM
To: public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: Real-world concept URIs

Recommended reading would be "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web":
http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/

In spite of the advice in that document, people can and sometimes do use the same URI for both the real world entity (such as a zebra) and the document that describes that zebra.  Doing so may be expedient for the URI owner and some users of that URI, but it also causes URI collision http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-collision

that may be detrimental to other users of that URI who wish to distinguish between the zebra and the page that describes the zebra.
For example, the zebra may have a length of 250 cm, but the page describing that zebra may have a length of 2500 bytes.

David