Re: HTTPS for RDF URIs?

On 31 Jan 2014, at 12:46, Alfredo Serafini <seralf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> regarding opaque uri: maybe a difference in the scheme could be seen as a complementary to a different type extension.
> If i'm referring for example to the resource http://wiki/page.html or http://wiki/page.rdf i probably expect two different representation on the same resource, from a technical REST-like approach. Should we interpet also those as opaques?
> Sorry if this is probably a sort of recurring question.
> If the formats for type extension are acceptable, the best would be in using also the schem much like in the same way. For example I suppose that I could have also have something like: file://wiki/page.html, for a local copy. Is this acceptable in theory?

Well, it is a URI, and as Kingsley says, denotes the resource it denotes, which may of may not be the same as anything else in this world.
So you could do this, if you wanted.
And you could use mailto for your local URI and ftp or http for the public one for a resource which is an email address - or vice versa.
But it is all in your mind (or some more complex RDF and OWL if you want to - as elf says, these things are all opaque.

But I’m afraid you just crossed a line for me.
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
says (number 2):
"Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names.”
and all the other versions have something similar.
I can happily accept that “HTTP” in this is a shorthand for “HTTP or HTTPS”, since they perform very similarly in terms of why the Principles specify HTTP.
But if you move to “file:”, then you have lost all the things that Principle 2 was aiming for.

Of course, if this discussion was happening on the Semantic Web list, I would not make these comments (or at least not the same way); but this is the LOD list, and I think that globally-recognised identifiers are more de rigueur as a sine qua non, to use a couple of English phrases :-)
Best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser