From: WILDER, COLIN [mailto:WILDERCF@mailbox.sc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:51 AM
To: 'public-lod@w3.org'
Subject: LOD for historical humanities information about people and texts

To the many people who have kindly responded to my recent email:

Thanks for your suggestions and clarifying questions. To explain a bit better, we have a data curation platform called RL, which is a large, complex web-based MySQL database designed for users to be able to simply input, store and share data about social and textual networks with each other, or to share it globally in RL's data commons. The data involved are individual data items, such as info about one person's name, age, a book title, a specific social relationship, etc. The entity types (in the ordinary-language sense of actors and objects, not in the database tabular sense) can be seen at http://tundra.csd.sc.edu/rol/browse.php. The data commons in RL is basically a subset of user data that users have elected (irrevocably) to share with all other users of the system. NB there is a lot of dummy data in the data commons right now because of testing.

We are designing an expansion of RL's functionality so as to publish data from the data commons as LOD, so I am doing some preliminary work to assess feasibility and fit by matching up our entity types with RDF vocabularies. Here is what I have so far. First are the entity(ies) and relationships, followed by the appropriate vocabularies:

1.       Persons, social relations: FOAF, BIO. The "Catalogus Professorum Lipsiensis" or CPL (http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2010/ISWC_CP/public.pdf) looks enormously useful for connecting academics (people), their relations and their books.  But, I cannot seem to get any info page or specification page to load, making me worry that it's dead.

2.       Membership in organizations: ORG

3.       Enrollment in an academic course (e.g. a lecture course): ??? maybe use a RDF container or RDF collection type of resource to list all students enrolled in a certain course?

4.       Travel: ??? We are trying to encode trips, in which one or more people leave one place at one time and arrive at another place at another time. This thus links people, places and times.

5.       Texts - i.e. old editions of books and manuscripts: Dublin Core, Bibframe. Use FRBR to distinguish sub- and pre-edition levels of manuscripts, works and ideas.

6.       Relationship among texts, including intertexts and citations: Bibliographic ontology (Bibo)

7.       Collections of texts in historical library catalogs, e.g. from centuries ago: the DC Collection AP. Maybe also the Bibliographic Reference Ontology (BiRO)?

My understanding is that the Linked Open Vocabulary cloud (LOV) is a useful tool for finding relevant ontologies. The Vocabulary of Interlinked Datasets (VoID) seems more like underlying infrastructure - the tool to translate and link data items in a dataset written in one vocabulary to data items in a set written in another.

Any further help or clarifications are much appreciated. Thanks again-

Colin

Dr. Colin F. Wilder
Associate Director
Center for Digital Humanities (website<http://cdh.sc.edu/>; projects page<http://cdh.sc.edu/projects>)
Thomas Cooper Library, University of South Carolina
1322 Greene St., Columbia, SC 29208
Phones: office (803) 777-2810 & mobile (603) 831-3998
Emails: wildercf@mailbox.sc.edu<mailto:wildercf@mailbox.sc.edu> & colinwilder@gmail.com<mailto:colinwilder@gmail.com>
open office hours<https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=a3goggjedb5j2qjjn3p6vaeki0%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York> (use week view in upper right)
frango ut patefaciam